Metropolitan College of New York is accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE). The college reserves the right to make changes to the admission requirements, based upon revisions made by the New York State Department of Education.
All applications will be reviewed by both an Enrollment Specialist and the MSED Program Director.
Admission to the MSED programs are competitive and requires the following:
- A completed application with all official transcripts and documentation.
- Evidence of an earned a bachelor's degree with a GPA of 3.0 or higher from an accredited institution of higher education. Applicants with a lower GPA may be considered for admission on a provisional basis based on professional experience and/or credentials. If admitted on a provisional basis, the student will be required to complete a specified number of credits with an overall GPA of 3.0 in order to continue in the program. Upon application to the program, a student's transcripts will also be evaluated for appropriate liberal arts and sciences and content core coursework required for certification by NYSED Section 52.21.
- Graduate Record Examination (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) scores for all applicants who plan to enroll after July 1, 2016. The evaluation of each applicant is based on all the materials in the file and is not exclusively based on test scores.
- A resume.
- Two signed letters of reference. One from a school teacher or professor and one from a work supervisor.
- Proficient English literacy skills through coursework and an in-person writing sample taken the same day as the interview.
- Participation in a structured interview with the Program Director and/or program faculty.
- NYCDOE fingerprint clearance eligibility to work with children. The NYCDOE fingerprint clearance process begins immediately following notification of acceptance by the Program Director.
- For international applicants TOEFL Scores - IbT (80 or above) or PbT (550 or above) or IELTS 6.5 or above and transcript course evaluation by WES, ECE or Globe Language Services.
- Proof of Immunizations (New York State Public Health Law 2165 requires all students on or after January 1, 1957 to supply immunizations from Measles, Mumps and Rubella prior to registration.
- Application Fee of $45 (the non-refundable fee) which can be paid either by check, money order or on-line with a credit card via a secured server.
Applications can be made at any time. The College accepts students on a rolling admission basis for the three terms per year. Semesters begin: Fall - second week of September, Spring - second week of January, Summer - first week of May.
For application and/or admissions information please contact: Metropolitan College of New York Admissions Office (212) 343-1234