Shana Melius — A Degree in Spreading the Word to Save Lives

The CEO of nonprofit foundation Preserve Our Legacy (POL), Shana Melius, along with her husband Brett, is putting the branding and marketing plan that she developed while earning her MBA in Media Management to work getting government bills passed that with help save thousands of lives.

Since 2007, POL has devoted its energy toward passionately advocating for under-represented ethnic patients in need of finding an unrelated Bone Marrow, PBSC or Cord Blood match.  Jaden’s Law was created by POL to assist in the awareness of the need for diverse ethnic groups to participate in the national bone marrow registry to increase the number of donors.  Shana Melius has worked tirelessly to get the law passed, city by city and state by state.

On May 19, 2017, Council Member Andy King implemented a piece of legislation, Jaden’s Law for NYC on behalf of all residents, which will provide educational resources on becoming bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cell and/or cord blood donors online through city government and the NYC Health & Hospitals Corporation websites. Jaden’s Law was established in New Jersey on Aug. 25, 2010.

About MCNY, Shana Melius says, “I saw an ad for MCNY on the subway. The school’s accelerated MBA program intrigued me. My husband and I had already started Preserve Our Legacy back in 2007 and I didn’t want to spend two years earning my master’s. No other school that I looked into gave me the flexibility of MCNY. The schedule was ideal for me: I went to school on Friday evenings and all day Saturday.  MCNY gave me

the skills and experience I was looking for to manage and grow our foundation, which works to inform and educate individuals, especially in ethnically diverse communities, about the benefits of adult stem cells and treatment options they provide via bone marrow, peripheral blood stem cells (PBSC) and/or umbilical cord blood donation. Each of my Purposes (what other schools call semesters) focused on a different aspect: I learned how to conduct market research, how to do a Strength/Weakness/Opportunity/Threat (SWOT) analysis, structure the business and understand the importance of, and how to implement, a branding and marketing campaign.  I still use the skills I learned at MCNY everyday.”

MASTER OF BUSINESS ADMINISTRATION IN MEDIA MANAGEMENT:
The first of its kind in the nation, MCNY’s program remains the only one-year accredited, accelerated MBA program in Media Management. It fuses the study of general MBA core competencies in economics, finance, marketing, operations, management and accounting with intensive exploration of media specific fields essential for effective media management. More Program Info

2017-10-18T10:20:49+00:00