Metropolitan College of New York (MCNY), 2018 Human Services alumnus Chaplain Kelvin O. Howell Jr. is what leadership looks like in Human Services and Social Justice. Kelvin is a Team Leader at New York Cares, Director of Operations at Queens Pride, and Chairman of FIERCE. He is unapologetic, unafraid, and unparalleled when it comes to bringing about change to make a positive impact in the LGBTQ community and ALL communities.

His tenacity is documented and recognized by the Intrepid Museum and Budweiser in the
Intrepid Among Us campaign that launched nationally on September 14, 2020.

Kelvin Howell

“I thank God that I am able to be of service in the middle of this global, national and local pandemic. The Coronavirus hit the City of New York hard, especially in areas of Queens. Being someone with underlying respiratory issues including critical asthma and having just recently completed weight loss surgery, I didn’t know how I could be of service but I was sure that I needed to be. It was faith that pushed me out the door and continues to push me every day,” says Kelvin Howell as he reflects upon his faith as a source of strength, “Unfortunately, this world and its systems of oppression have brought me to areas that I can’t believe exist in New York City. Even in the darkest moments of my life, grace and mercy were upon me. It is with the favor of God that I return the love, support and humanity that was been shown to me when I needed it the most.”

He pays it forward! Kelvin is an Agent of Change and lives by words that he read during his first purpose (semester) as a student at MCNY…

“What are human services? Stated most simply, they are the complex interactions that address and respond to human concerns. When successful, they make positive and lasting differences in peoples’ lives, and they help improve the world. The importance of human service cannot be overstated. Unfortunately, institutions rarely address empowerment as their central concern. Empowerment is reciprocal. You become empowered as you assist in the empowerment of others.”
Audrey Cohen, Founder of Metropolitan College Of New York

About Intrepid Among Us
Throughout its history, 50,000 brave heroes served aboard Intrepid, sacrificing their personal safety for the greater good. Today we’re in a new conflict, with a new enemy – a global pandemic that has changed our lives in ways we never could have imagined. Now, the frontline heroes are healthcare professionals, bus drivers, teachers, delivery persons, grocery store workers, and many more — those selflessly putting their own health at risk and providing essential services for the benefit of all. They are the Intrepid Among Us.

Join the Intrepid Museum and Budweiser as we recognize those serving our country when we need it most. Post and share stories, videos or photos of the Intrepid Among Us in your own community. #IntrepidAmongUs