Turn Your Purpose Into a Career2022-02-15T13:22:25-05:00
Metropolitan College of New York

Your Career is Our Purpose

Earn an Education That Helps Your Career

Founded in 1964 by educational visionary and activist Audrey Cohen, today more than 12,000 alumni have earned degrees from Metropolitan College of New York. Create the career you want to have at MCNY by blending theory, and real-world practice, all within the lens of social justice.


Our Purpose-Centered degree programs were created to help you solve our city’s toughest challenges.


Manhattan and The Bronx

Get Inspired

Find out how these Metropolitan College of New York alumni put their Purpose-Centered degrees to work:

Viviana, ’19

Viviana always knew she wanted to help make a difference, especially in the lives of young Hispanic women. A degree from Metropolitan College of New York helped set a path to positively impact her community through social work.

Graduates of the Human Services program are prepared for a leadership position in a wide variety of human services settings, such as childcare, eldercare, substance abuse, counseling, and community affairs.

Jovany, ’20

Jovany pursued a degree in IT to fulfill a childhood dream. Metropolitan College of New York’s program in Information Technology Management develops students’ technical and analytical skills – setting them up for success in a high-demand field.

Graduate quicker and benefit from hands-on experience in smaller classes accompanied by one-on-one support from seasoned faculty. With various scholarship opportunities, now is the time to improve your future.

Nicoleta, ’20

Nicoleta realized her passion for childhood education when she became a mom. As a first-generation immigrant, she had to overcome many challenges in the pursuit for her Master of Science in Education: Dual Childhood 1-6/Special Education.

In this program, she found a supportive and collaborative environment to help foster growth and confidence. The accelerated program allowed her to be in the classroom quickly, directly impacting students within weeks of graduating.

Cassiana, ’20

Cassiana was searching for a college degree to improve her career outlook and continue being a role model for her daughter. Having earned her bachelor’s, she’s prepared to address the needs within a fast-growing industry.

From accounting, economics, marketing, finance and human resources, the Healthcare Systems Management program prepares students to best address the needs of a fast-growing industry.

Programs Designed for Working Adults

Convenient Schedules

Evening and weekend classes, so you don’t have to put your life on pause.

Financial Aid + Scholarships

Financial aid and Scholarships are available to qualified applicants.

Lifetime Career Counseling

MCNY students and alumni receive lifetime career support and counseling.

Prepare for What’s Next

At Metropolitan College, our professors are active experts in their fields. You will learn skills from real life experiences, and be empowered to apply them towards your career growth.

“I attended MCNY because I felt it was different and offered more than most colleges. Purpose-Centered Education provides a level of hands-on experience you just don’t get elsewhere. The MPA program curriculum was truly impressive. I graduated more equipped and with more confidence than I had before. I came out knowing that I could write a great grant proposal—because I had.”

Syrena Huggins


Our Alumni Love Us

Make a difference in your life, and your community.

“I have gratitude for MCNY and gratitude for Audrey Cohen because her concept was just great. When you leave MCNY your perspective and the way you view things totally changes. I no longer look at things at face value. At MCNY you’re taught to go behind what you see with context and I now tell my students to always unpack the layers. MCNY has such wealth of knowledge and has offered so much to people. It’s incredible how others don’t know about it.”

Michael Goodman


“Before I came to MCNY, I compartmentalized a lot. I was conditioned to be that way. At MCNY, I realized I can be more than one thing and that I’m purpose driven and mission driven. The difference MCNY made was that I had to grow and I couldn’t make excuses anymore. The College helped me be more accountable for my life and what I wanted to do.”

Krystal Melendez

MCNY Alumna

“I have gratitude for MCNY and gratitude for Audrey Cohen because her concept was just great. When you leave MCNY your perspective and the way you view things totally changes. I no longer look at things at face value. At MCNY you’re taught to go behind what you see with context and I now tell my students to always unpack the layers. MCNY has such wealth of knowledge and has offered so much to people. It’s incredible how others don’t know about it.”

Michael Goodman


“Before I came to MCNY, I compartmentalized a lot. I was conditioned to be that way. At MCNY, I realized I can be more than one thing and that I’m purpose driven and mission driven. The difference MCNY made was that I had to grow and I couldn’t make excuses anymore. The College helped me be more accountable for my life and what I wanted to do.”

Krystal Melendez

MCNY Alumna

Hear from MCNY Alumni

Trusted by leading organisations

[fusion_portfolio layout=”grid” picture_size=”default” text_layout=”default” grid_box_color=”” grid_element_color=”” grid_separator_style_type=”” grid_separator_color=”” columns=”” column_spacing=”48″ portfolio_masonry_grid_ratio=”” portfolio_masonry_width_double=”” one_column_text_position=”below” equal_heights=”yes” number_posts=”3″ portfolio_title_display=”title” portfolio_text_alignment=”default” filters=”no” pull_by=”category” cat_slug=”” exclude_cats=”” tag_slug=”” exclude_tags=”” pagination_type=”none” hide_url_params=”on” offset=”0″ orderby=”date” order=”DESC” content_length=”excerpt” excerpt_length=”” strip_html=”yes” carousel_layout=”title_on_rollover” scroll_items=”” autoplay=”no” show_nav=”yes” mouse_scroll=”no” animation_type=”” animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”1.6″ animation_offset=”” hide_on_mobile=”small-visibility,large-visibility” class=”” id=”” /][fusion_portfolio layout=”grid” picture_size=”default” text_layout=”default” grid_box_color=”” grid_element_color=”” grid_separator_style_type=”” grid_separator_color=”” columns=”2″ column_spacing=”48″ portfolio_masonry_grid_ratio=”” portfolio_masonry_width_double=”” one_column_text_position=”below” equal_heights=”yes” number_posts=”4″ portfolio_title_display=”title” portfolio_text_alignment=”default” filters=”no” pull_by=”category” cat_slug=”” exclude_cats=”” tag_slug=”” exclude_tags=”” pagination_type=”none” hide_url_params=”on” offset=”0″ orderby=”date” order=”DESC” content_length=”excerpt” excerpt_length=”” strip_html=”yes” carousel_layout=”title_on_rollover” scroll_items=”” autoplay=”no” show_nav=”yes” mouse_scroll=”no” animation_type=”fade” animation_direction=”down” animation_speed=”1.6″ animation_offset=”” hide_on_mobile=”medium-visibility” class=”” id=”” /]

Improve Customer Retention and Sales.

Nullam suscipit eu lacus quis tristique. Vivamus dapibus ultricies nulla eget efficitur rhoncus odio sit amet ante luctus faucibus. Praesent sollicitudin purus. Nam fringilla est in velit.

Strategic Marketing Workshop & Plan

Starting at


  • Quick wins to increase customer acquisition, lead an sales
  • We wont ask you to spend more
  • We drive more traffic, customers and sales to your business
  • We provide real, practical marketing advice
  • We report to you on a monthly basis what we have done
  • Watch as your business grows and expands from all the new leads
  • Processes are time-tested and field proven

We’ll be in touch soon!

What problem are you trying to solve?

When is the last day to make changes to my schedule?2020-11-23T16:41:22-05:00

You can make changes to your schedule by adding and/or dropping courses up until the end of the first week of the semester. All changes must be reviewed and approved by an academic advisor.

Which Holidays are observed by MCNY?2020-11-23T16:39:50-05:00

MCNY observes all Federal holidays. The full list of observed holidays and the dates on which they fall can be found on the academic calendar.

Working while you are on full time F-1 Status?2020-11-12T15:02:50-05:00

Our unique curriculum requires that, each semester, students connect learning to practice. For this reason, it is possible that students awarded the I-20 to attend Metropolitan College of New York may become eligible to work under very specific guidelines determined by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services once they are enrolled. Our philosophy of Purpose Centered Education means you learn by doing. The majority of our programs allow students to work part-time while pursuing their studies full time. Under USCIS guidelines, MCNY has the authority to grant students Curricular Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT) after students meet the eligibility requirements. The College’s Career Service Office assists students in highlighting internship, CPT and OPT opportunities throughout each semester.

Can you place me in communication with current students and faculty?2020-11-12T15:00:54-05:00

Absolutely, whenever possible, qualified applicants can be connected with current students and faculty upon request.

Are there special requirements for the MBA program?2020-11-12T15:00:06-05:00

The MBA program may require some foundation courses at an additional cost if an interested applicant has no prior business acumen that can be documented on their transcript.

Are there special requirements for the MPA Programs?2020-11-12T14:59:14-05:00

Yes, the MPA in Public Affairs and Administration and MPA in Emergency & Disaster Management programs require an interview with the dean, assistant dean or director of the program in addition to transcripts evaluated by a NACES approved agency, if a student’s schooling has taken place outside the USA. Moreover, all students interested in the MPA in Public Affairs and Administration should have the following in mind:

  • An organization with which you may want to work for or are currently working in already in mind.
  • A sense of a problem facing that organization.
  • A relationship with a qualified individual within the organization who is willing to supervise you as you research and propose solutions to a problem facing the organization.

To document the above mentioned, students will need to provide the following with their application, or (if given Dean approval) by the sixth week of class:

  • A letter of agreement documenting that 21 hours of supervision in an appropriate administrative setting will be provided to the applicant by a qualified individual within the organization. A special form to document this is available by contacting international@mcny.edu
  • A field supervisor form that documents the qualified individual has a master degree and five years of professional experience deeming them appropriate to serve a supervisory role. A field supervisor verification form is available by contacting international@mcny.edu
Are there special requirements for the MSEd Program?2020-11-12T14:57:24-05:00

Yes, the program requires an interview with the program director. In addition, students must have an IELTS or TOEFL score that meets or exceeds our minimum requirements for admission. Other substitutions will not be accepted. A writing sample will be conducted as part of your director’s interview and must be completed on site. Lastly, students must have their transcript evaluated by a NACES approved agency, such as: WES, ECE or Spantran if their schooling has taken place outside the USA.

I would like to purchase an international student Identity Card. Where can I purchase one?2020-11-12T14:56:27-05:00

We recommend ISIC. ISIC provide students with discounts at popular tourist attractions, local merchants and even allows students to load money onto their card. In order to be eligible for an ISIC, you must be a student age 12 or over, currently enrolled at an accredited institution and matriculating towards a diploma or a degree. Continuing education and language school students are not eligible. The ISIC card is valid 1 year from date of issue. Once you enroll at MCNY, ISIC Cards can be purchased online or at several STA Travel locations throughout New York City. For more information, visit https://www.isic.org

I would like to purchase international student health insurance. Do you have any recommended providers?2023-12-11T14:18:29-05:00

Student health insurance is not required, but if desired, you can purchase international student health insurance in your home country or use one of our approved international student insurance providers like ISO Student Health Insurance.

With regards to the immunization card, do I have to fill out the specific form on the application or can I simply send a copy of my immunization card?2020-11-12T14:53:37-05:00

You can either send a copy of your immunization card, submit the MCNY immunization form or have your physician provide proof of vaccination history. We need two proofs of measles, one proof of mumps and one proof of rubella. A combo shot is indicated as MMR in your records. All documentation must be officially stamped. You need at least one proof of MMR in your home country prior to New York City arrival. If you need a 2nd MMR after you arrive, we can arrange that at no cost to you.

Can I have my TOEFL score results sent directly by ETS?2020-11-12T14:52:51-05:00

Yes, our ETS code is 2157

Can I send an official copy of my IELTS score through the British Council?2020-11-12T14:51:47-05:00

Yes, you can have the Cambridge ESOL, the British Council or IDP:IELTS Australia send it directly to us.

If I want to send my SAT results to MCNY, what is the code required?2020-11-12T14:50:17-05:00

Our CEEB code is 009769

I understand that MCNY does not offer on campus housing but do I still need to show that I can provide for housing on my own?2020-11-12T14:49:07-05:00

Yes, in order to be issued an I-20 to apply for a student visa in your home country, you will need to show proof that you can cover tuition expenses as well as the estimated expenses for housing and other fees. Although, MCNY does not directly charge you for these estimated expenses, all students should be able to demonstrate adequate funding for living and personal expenses apart from the cost of attending MCNY.

Does the Norwegian 13th year of schooling exempt me from my first year at MCNY?2020-11-12T14:48:13-05:00

Yes, in most cases credits can be given for the 13th year of schooling in a Norwegian curriculum. This will depend on your courses and results. Courses will be evaluated upon review of your admission materials. Official examination results/scores should be sent directly from the official testing headquarters to the MCNY Office of Admission.

Can I receive credits for A-levels, IB and AP?2020-11-12T14:47:24-05:00

Yes, in most cases credits can be given for certain IB, A-level and AP courses. Courses will be evaluated upon review of your admission materials. Official examination results/scores should be sent directly from the official testing headquarters to the MCNY Office of Admission.

What is a cohort model?2020-11-12T14:46:37-05:00

The unique interdisciplinary course of study integrates the College’s Purpose-Centered System of Education that links theory to practice at each stage of the learning process. Through a cohort model, students are organized into peer learning communities to develop knowledge, skills and understanding. A cohort program groups students into the same program with the same classes. The number of grouped students can vary from degree program. These cohorts build strong relationships because they start the program and graduate from the program at the same time. This format of learning is team-based and is an invaluable skill set in today’s workplace.

Do you have an ESL program?2020-11-12T14:45:41-05:00

No, at this time we do not but we do have two of our partner institutions, ELS and LSI located in the same building. We offer conditional admission for students who are enrolled in these programs and who have completed the required levels before gaining full admission.

Do you offer academic support services for students?2020-11-12T14:44:47-05:00

Yes, we have a dedicated team of professionals ready to assist students at our Learning Enhancement Center. LEC specialists are able to assist students with improving their writing, reading and math skills and a variety of other helpful skills like time management.

Is there a deposit I need to make if I am accepted?2020-11-12T14:44:00-05:00

Yes, in order to ensure your enrollment and placed in the semester you are applying for, a $300 deposit will be required before your arrival to New York City. Deposits can be made online, by wire transfer, certified bank check or money order. Notification will be sent to all accepted students in their acceptance packet. The $300 deposit will be credited to your first semester registration.

Is there an application fee?2020-11-12T14:43:10-05:00

No, MCNY does not have an application fee.

What should I bring from home to the United States?2020-11-12T14:42:11-05:00

Your necessities should include any prescription medicine, eyeglasses, or other medical supplies that may not be available in the States. You will need warm clothes for the winters in NYC, although these can be purchased once you arrive. Most of this information will be sent to you via email, shortly after your acceptance and visa issuance has been confirmed.

How do I obtain a visa to study at MCNY?2020-11-12T14:41:07-05:00

After completing your application and submitting all the admissions requirements, you will be issued an acceptance letter and the I-20 form with specific instructions on obtaining a visa.

How do MCNY students spend their free time?2020-11-12T14:40:10-05:00

At MCNY, there are abundant opportunities to have fun and get involved in different activities sponsored by the Student and Career Service Offices not to mention the wealth of activities New York has to offer. From restaurants, theatre, recreational and social leagues, students never find a dull moment in NYC. Many of the international students end up creating social networks of their own and with their cohorts.

What are my housing and boarding options?2020-11-12T14:39:10-05:00

MCNY does not provide room and board for students. We do partner with nearby housing facilities like https://www.studenthousing.org which provides many campuses in the area quality student housing near campus. Students are required to find their own housing whether it be through our partner housing companies or through other methods. All students are still required to demonstrate adequate funds for room and board through their affidavit of support and supporting financial documentation.

What can I do to prepare for my departure?2020-11-12T14:37:44-05:00

We encourage you to attend an EducationUSA pre-departure session. It is not mandatory for incoming international students, but we feel these sessions are very valuable to incoming international students and parents. EducationUSA centers are the U.S. State Department’s network of more than 400 advising centers in 170 countries designed to assist local students find the appropriate college or university in the United States. We have excellent relationships formed with EducationUSA officers throughout the world. Please visit https://educationusa.state.gov for more information about pre-departure sessions.

What scholarships are offered for international students?2022-04-21T11:03:30-04:00

Scholarship consideration is based on merit, test scores, recommendation letters and other criteria. Consideration will be given to all applicants who submit all required materials before application deadlines.

Does MCNY offer scholarships covering full tuition or full rides?2020-11-12T14:35:30-05:00

MCNY does not provide full scholarship support for international students. However, students who demonstrate the highest academic potential and bring significant co-curricular interests to our campus will be considered for scholarships. Scholarship amount will vary depending on graduate or undergraduate degree. Students earning a GPA above 3.0 can also qualify for acceptance into selected MCNY honor societies, which may offer additional financial support.

Can I apply with my O-Levels only?2020-11-12T14:30:28-05:00

Yes, we can accept students after they have completed their O-Levels. Students will, however, be required to take the ACT or SAT. A TOEFL or IELTS score may not be substituted. Students wishing to use their O-Levels for entrance must meet the minimum ACT or SAT requirements.

Can I apply as a transfer student?2020-11-12T14:27:43-05:00

Yes, official transcripts (certified and translated to English) are required from each college or university you have attended. In most cases, an external evaluation by a NACES approved agency, such as: WES, ECE or Spantran may be required for Universities in non-English speaking institutions or institutions deemed necessary for evaluation by the Office of Admission.

How does MCNY review International Baccalaureates, WAEC/WASSCE and my foreign university transcript?2020-11-12T14:26:47-05:00

The Office of Admissions has experience in reviewing IB program credentials, and a variety of other scholastic systems from various countries including some undergraduate degrees for those pursuing graduate programs. African students who have taken the WAEC/WASSCE should submit both their transcripts and WAEC/WASSCE results slips, along with scratch card information so that we can verify their results. Visit www.waecdirect.org for more information.

How selective is MCNY? How are admissions decisions made?2020-11-12T14:24:50-05:00

While a solid GPA is important, it is not the sole criteria for acceptance. MCNY looks at the overall application when making an admission’s decision, including recommendation letters and submission of a personal statement/essay. We look for students who complete applications that are on time, thorough and meet all the required requirements for admission in their chosen degree. In addition, we enjoy students who communicate regularly with their Admissions Counselor.

How successful are MCNY graduates?2020-11-12T14:24:00-05:00

MCNY prepares all of our students with goals they choose to pursue after graduation by providing a solid academic foundation. We also offer career services which help guide many of our students to find employment opportunities upon graduation. Many of our graduates advance in their current profession, others take their Constructive Action Project and create lucrative business models. Many become leading educators, enter non-profit organizations and become agents for change.

How many students attend MCNY?2020-11-12T14:20:55-05:00

Total enrollment at MCNY is about 1,100 students. Our student body represents a diverse student population which includes students from over 40 countries.

What makes MCNY unique?2020-11-12T14:19:58-05:00

MCNY’s academic curriculum blends the latest educational pedagogy with real world practical training. This combination allows students to develop analytical skills that prepare them for a successful and meaningful career. Our innovative curriculum is friendly to current working professionals and in fact, many of the professors at MCNY are leaders in the profession of a student’s chosen course of study. MCNY is also located in the heart of lower Manhattan, minutes away from some of the world’s most famous attractions. Our campus is a cultural melting pot and very indicate of the cultural diversity represented in our great State of New York. MCNY is considered a modern urban campus.

What is the difference between a college and a university?2020-11-12T14:18:46-05:00

College or university follows after high school, or secondary school. A college in the U.S.A. is not a high school or secondary school. College and university programs begin in the thirteenth year of school, usually when a student is 17 or 18 years old or older. A two-year college offers an Associate’s Degree. A four-year college or university offers a Bachelor’s Degree and many offer graduate degrees. MCNY offers Associate, Bachelors and Master’s degrees. You can earn a Bachelor’s Degree at either a college or a university. However, students in the U.S.A. prefer to use the word “college” rather than the word “university” when they talk about the four-year undergraduate program and the Bachelor’s Degree. They say “going to college” and “a college degree” when they talk about undergraduate programs at either a college or a university.

What is purposed-centered education?2020-11-12T14:17:36-05:00

The MCNY tradition ensures a breadth and depth of inquiry by allowing students to do a Constructive Action Project that they start during the first semester and complete upon graduation. Many of these projects lead students to employment opportunity and recognition from the private and public sectors. This allows all of our students to develop the tools and skills that allow lifelong learning. Top corporations and graduate schools agree that the best preparation for a professional career is a purposed centered education.

Where is Metropolitan College of New York located?2020-11-12T14:16:48-05:00

MCNY is located in lower Manhattan at 60 West Street and Rector Street. There are several subway stops near the campus and our students are minutes away from some of New York’s most famous attractions. The nearest airports are Newark, JFK and LaGuardia.

Do I have to take the TOEFL or IELTS?2020-11-12T14:15:59-05:00

Students whose native language is not English are required to submit the results of one of the approved English Language Assessments found on the undergraduate and graduate admission links for international students. Citizens of Canada, Australia and the UK may be exempt from the English language testing requirements.

How can I get a student VISA?2020-11-12T14:15:11-05:00

After you meet all the admission criteria, the Office of Admission will issue you a Form 1-20 which will allow you to apply for a visa at your local United States Embassy. For more information about student visas, visit the following website: https://travel.state.gov/

I am a current international at MCNY, can I get authorization to work?2022-03-21T17:45:05-04:00

Our philosophy of Purpose Centered Education means you learn by doing. While we do not offer on campus employment for students, MCNY has the authority to grant undergraduate students CPT (curriculum practicum training) after their 2nd semester. Graduate students can apply for CPT in their 1st semester. The College’s Career Service Office assists students in learning about internship opportunities. This becomes possible because of the strong educational relationships the College develops with employers. OPT (Optional Practical Training) allows students to work full time for a period of 12 months upon graduating from a degree program.

Is there an application deadline?2020-11-12T14:13:17-05:00

Yes, April 1 for summer admission, August 1 for fall admission and December 1 for spring admission.

Can I apply to MCNY online or is there a special application for international students?2020-11-12T14:12:38-05:00

You can easily apply online at the MCNY website and click “Apply” on the banner. The entire application process should take no more than 10 minutes. Please note that there is no international student application fee.

What is Nelnet Campus Commerce?2020-11-20T16:47:05-05:00

Nelnet Campus Commerce is a new electronic billing, payment and refund service offered by MCNY. Through this service, students will have the ability to check monthly billing statements and pay tuition and other expenses online.

What are some of the benefits using Nelnet Campus Commerce?2020-11-20T16:48:50-05:00
  • Convenient access to eBills and payment services 24 hours a day/ 7days a week via the internet using your secure, MCNY Self-Service account.
  • Ability to make payments via electronic check or credit card (American Express, Discover, MasterCard and Visa).
  • Private secure services. Data is encrypted.
  • Convenient access for Parents and other Authorized Parties to view student billing information and make payments on behalf of the student.
  • Access to online payment history.
  • Ability to print an eBill at any time via the internet.
  • Email notification that eBill statement is available and/or optional notification via text message related to balance inquiry.
How do I access Nelnet Campus Commerce?2020-11-20T16:56:34-05:00

Students will access Nelnet Campus Commerce through the Finances Tab of MCNY’s Student Portal – Self-Service. Once there, students will be redirected to Nelnet’s Campus Commerce secure portal to view eBills and/or make payments. Here is what you will do:

  1. Go to selfservice.mcny.edu
  2. Enter your username and password.
  3. Select Finances from the navigation bar.
  4. Select the BALANCE tab to view your current balance detail. (You may bypass this step.)
  5. Select the Pay Online tab. This tab will take you to the Nelnet Campus Commerce portal where you will be able make your payment and/or view your static billing statement.

Please note: Billing statements are generally published every month. Although the information on the statement is static, the Nelnet Campus Commerce balance will always be the real-time balance.

How will I know when my eBill is available?2020-11-20T16:57:36-05:00

Each time a new billing statement is available, an email from noreply@mcny.edu will be sent to your official MCNY Outlook email address.

How do students give Parents or other Authorized Parties access to pay online? How can my Parents or other Authorized Parties view my balance and make payment online?2020-11-20T17:03:24-05:00

Students have the option to designate a parent, spouse or others to be Authorized Party. Students use their own Nelnet Campus Commerce account to set up and manage Authorized Party accounts. After students designate individuals as Authorized Parties, Nelnet Campus Commerce will email the Authorized Party access information to their own separate Authorized Party accounts. Student must have the email address of the Authorized Party in order to complete the process.

To designate an authorized user:

  1. Go to selfservice.mcny.edu and log in.
  2. Select Finance from the navigation bar.
  3. Select PAY ONLINE from the red navigation bar. This will take you to your Nelnet Campus Commerce ACCOUNT HOME PAGE.
  4. From YOUR ACCOUNT HOME PAGE select ADD AN AUTHORIZED PARTY box. Click on the ADD NEW link.
  5. Enter the following information:
    1. Authorized Party – Enter the authorized parties first name and last name. You can either select “Include details that make up my balance” or leave it blank.
    2. Authorized Party Authentication – Enter authentication question and authentication answer.
    3. Web Access – Enter the authorized parties email address. If the email address is left blank, the authorized party will only be able to discuss your account over the phone.
    4. Select Save to complete the authorized user process.

Once you have completed this process, Nelnet Campus Commerce will send an email to the email address you provided.

Students can withdraw permission at any time by changing the access of the user.

It is the student’s responsibility to manage their Authorized Parties.

Do I have to be on eBilling?2020-11-20T17:05:48-05:00

Yes, the College has designated electronic billing as the official means of generating tuition & related expenses. All currently enrolled students will receive an email notifying them that a bill is available for viewing. Each time a bill is available, an email will be sent to your official MCNY Outlook email address.

How do I print a paper copy of my bill?2020-11-20T17:07:47-05:00

Nelnet stores copies of billing statements. Students can easily print a copy of their e-bill using any computer connected to the Internet and a printer.

The bills are available in PDF format and can be printed using the <PRINT> icon on the PDF reader tool bar.

If I make a payment, can I view it on my electronic bill or eBill immediately?2020-11-20T17:09:42-05:00

No, because the electronic bill is a static monthly billing statement. Payments made to your account will be reflected on your next electronic bill. However, students can verify payments posted in dynamic real-time by logging onto Self-Service.

Once logged in on Self-Service,

  1. Select Finance from the navigation bar
  2. Select BALANCE from the drop down to view your current balance detail. Next, select the period (year and term) you would like to view (ex. fall 2020). You may view by Detail by Charges/Credit, Detail by Summary Type and/or Balance Summary.

Please note that Authorized Parties can only see a summarized general balance in real-time through the Nelnet Campus Commerce site. They will not be able to see the payment reflected until the next monthly billing statement.

Do students or Authorized Parties have to make their payments online?2020-11-20T17:13:07-05:00

No, students or Authorized Users/Payers can print a hard copy of the eBill via the Internet and mail their payment (check, cashier’s check, money order) along with the remittance portion of the printed eBill to the mailing address on the remittance slip.

Make payments payable to: MCNY

NOTE: Make sure the student’s MCNY ID number is written on the paper check.

What is an electronic check (also known as an ACH)?2020-11-20T17:14:12-05:00

An electronic check (eCheck or ACH transfer) is similar to writing a paper check. The only difference is that you are authorizing the debiting of your checking or savings account online without presenting a physical paper check.

Once you are logged on to the Nelnet Campus Commerce site and begin to make a payment, you will be asked which method of electronic payment you wish to use: credit card or electronic check (ACH).

You will need your bank account number and routing number (located at the bottom of your paper check). You can choose to store this information on the secure Nelnet Campus Commerce site for future use. If you choose not to store the account number and routing numbers on the Nelnet Campus Commerce site, you will have to re-enter this information each time you make a payment.

Does Nelnet Campus Commerce charge for e-billing and e-check (ACH)?2020-11-20T17:15:37-05:00

No, Nelnet Campus Commerce offers these services free of charge.

Can I submit a post-dated online electronic check?2017-11-15T14:40:34-05:00

No, the policy regarding postdated checks remains the same as if you were submitting a paper check. The college does not accept post-dated checks.

Whom should I contact if I have further questions?2020-11-20T17:16:54-05:00

If you have any additional questions about Nelnet Campus Commerce or other student account issues, please contact:

Metropolitan College of New York
60 West Street
New York, N.Y. 10006

212-343-1234 ext. 5002

How do I know if I qualify for accommodations?2017-06-29T12:37:55-04:00

If you suspect you have a medical, psychological, or learning disability, you must be evaluated by a medical professional that can provide you with an assessment and evaluation that documents the nature of your disability.

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school how are these services different in college?2017-06-29T12:37:37-04:00

In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). IDEA no longer applies. Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education in college. Colleges do not have to seek out students with disabilities. It is the student’s responsibility to seek out services through the Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services.

How long does it take to receive accommodations?2017-06-29T12:37:19-04:00

Once the completed Application for Accommodations and Documentation of the Disability have been received and reviewed, you will be approved for your accommodations within 1-2 weeks.

How do I know if my accommodations have been approved?2017-06-29T12:37:02-04:00

You will receive an Accommodation Letter (via email) from the Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services that will also be sent to all professors for the current semester informing them of your approved accommodations.

Do I have to make an appointment to receive accommodations?2017-06-29T12:36:46-04:00

Please email access@mcny.edu to schedule an appointment with an Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services representative.

What should I communicate to my professors?2017-06-29T12:36:31-04:00

Once the professors have received the Accommodation Letter (via email) you should reach out to your professors to discuss how to best utilize your accommodations for each specific course.

Is my information confidential?2017-06-29T12:36:15-04:00

Yes, all information and documentation provided will remain confidential and kept separate from all other student education records. Learn more.

I suspect I have a learning disability; can the Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services conduct the evaluations and/or assessment to provide a diagnosis?2017-06-29T12:35:59-04:00

Unfortunately, MCNY does not have the resources on campus to provide evaluations or assessments to students with disabilities. However, you can view a list of evaluation resources.

What is Satisfactory Academic Progress2017-04-20T11:11:10-04:00

Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP)

Federal regulations (Sections 668.16(e).668.32(f) and 668.34)   require that schools monitor the academic progress of each applicant for federal financial assistance and that the school certify that the applicant is making satisfactory academic progress toward earning his/her degree.

This determination of progress is made at the end of each semester (fall, spring and summer) for all full-time and part-time undergraduate and graduate degree candidates. The review includes a determination as to whether the student has met the cumulative qualitative and quantitative standards set forth in the College’s SAP policy. Specifically included in the review is a measurement of the student’s Pace to ensure that the student will complete the program within the maximum timeframe. Students will be notified in writing of the results of an evaluation that impacts the student’s eligibility for federal and institutional financial assistance.

Qualitative SAP Standards

2.0 cumulative Grade Point Average for undergraduates

3.0 cumulative Grade Point Average for graduates

Quantitative SAP Standards (PACE and Maximum Timeframe)

PACE: Students must have earned at least 67% of their attempted course credits to be considered to be meeting Satisfactory Academic Progress minimum standards. In other words, a student’s pace is calculated by dividing the cumulative number of credits that the student has successfully completed by the cumulative number of credits that the student has attempted.

Maximum Timeframe:  Students are permitted to receive federal student aid up to the maximum timeframe of 150% of the published length of the education program in attempted and transfer credits. Students are not eligible to receive federal financial assistance beyond this point.

Example: Published length of an Associate of Arts in Human Services is 60 credits. Students are permitted to receive federal student aid up to the maximum of 90 credits in pursuant of an Associate Degree.

Transfer credits are counted in both the cumulative number of successfully completed and attempted credits.

Attempted credits include incompletes (I and EI), repeated courses, failures (FNS, FWD and F), or withdrawals (WP).

Repeated courses

Students may not receive financial aid for more than one repetition of a previously passed course. Courses repeated due to an earlier failing grade are eligible for federal student aid if the course is a requirement for the student’s degree program.


Attempted hours are those hours for which students were still officially registered at the conclusion of each semester’s Add/Drop period. Withdrawals made after the close of the Add/Drop period are classified with a grade of “WP”, and are counted as courses attempted and toward the maximum time frame for eligibility. Withdrawals made during the Add/Drop period do not count as attempted hours.

Change in Majors

Students who change their majors will normally be expected to complete all degree requirements before reaching 150% maximum time of normal program completion.

Reviewing SAP

Students meeting all minimum SAP standards are packaged for the full academic year. Students not meeting all minimum standards are subject to financial aid warning and suspension of financial aid eligibility. Alternatively, students may appeal the decision to regain eligibility.

Financial Aid Warning

Students who drop below the required qualitative and quantitative standards will receive a Financial Aid Warning for one semester.

Maintaining/Regaining Eligibility

Students can regain eligibility for financial assistance after the warning period as soon as they meet the qualitative and quantitative standards for SAP as stated above.

Financial Aid Suspension

A student on financial aid warning who has not met all SAP qualitative and quantitative standards by the end of the next semester of enrollment and who does not have an approved appeal on file with the financial aid office is no longer eligible to receive financial aid assistance.

A student who has lost eligibility to participate in federal student aid programs for reasons of academic progress can regain that eligibility only by enrolling at MCNY at his/her own expense and demonstrating that he/she is capable of completing a semester without any failures, incompletes or withdrawals and showing the ability to complete his degree requirements in a more regular fashion.

Right to Appeal

A student who becomes ineligible for financial aid (after receiving a financial aid warning and suspension) may submit a Satisfactory Academic Progress Request for Review to the Director of Financial Aid Office including the following information:

  • Explanation of mitigating circumstance such as death of a family member, or a student’s personal illness or injury that resulted in the failure to meet SAP,
  • Explanation of what has changed that will allow student to demonstrate SAP progress at the end of the next evaluation period, and/or
  • An “academic plan of action” completed with an academic advisor.

The appeal along with all required statements and documentation will usually be reviewed by the Director of Financial Aid within ten business days of receipt of appeal. The Director of Financial Aid will consider waiving the SAP standards for a student who documents mitigating circumstances that contributed to their academic difficulties.

In some cases, it may be mathematically impossible for a student to repair his or her SAP deficiencies with one term of enrollment. In such cases, a student’s SAP appeal may be approved with an academic plan to restore SAP deficiencies over more than one term. In these cases, the Office of Student Services in consultation with the Director of Financial Aid will develop an academic plan with the student that, if followed, will ensure that the student is able to meet the College’s SAP standards by a specific point in time. The academic plan may require the student to fulfill specific terms and conditions, such as taking a reduced course load or enrolling in specific courses.

Financial Aid Probation

Students who do not meet the qualitative and quantitative standards and have successfully appealed to regain their financial aid eligible are placed on Financial Aid Probation. Students on financial aid probation retain both federal and institutional aid eligibility for one semester or as stated on the academic plan of action.

If the student continues to not meet the minimum SAP standards, s/he is no longer eligible for federal or institutional aid until these standards is met.

New York State TAP Program Pursuit and Academic Progress Eligibility Charts

To be eligible for TAP, you must be a full -time matriculated student. New York State regulations require recipients to maintain satisfactory academic progress and program pursuit. The charts below outline each TAP payment requirements.

New York State Satisfactory Academic Progress Charts


Baccalaureate Program: Students First NYS Award Payment in 2010-11 and After – non-remedial

Before Being Certified for This Payment









A Student Must Have Accrued at Least This Many Credits









With at Least This Grade Point Average (GPA)










Associate 2 Year Program: Students First NYS Award Payment in 2010-11 and After – Non-remedial

Before Being Certified for This Payment






A Student Must Have Accrued at Least This Many Credits






With at Least This Grade Point Average (GPA)






The table above illustrates the specific requirements needed to receive TAP. It is important to note that the number of credit hours that must be completed and earned depends on the number of TAP payments the student has received, not on the year of enrollment. Visit the NYS HESC website for full information.

Waiver of Academic Standing Requirement

Students who are academically ineligible for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP) due to a documentable circumstance may apply for a one-time waiver of the Academic Progress/Programs Pursuit requirements and a one-time waiver of the grade point average requirement. However, multiple waivers for the TAP progress and pursuit requirements are not granted. Valid circumstances include illness, death of a family member, or other situations that may have adversely affected their academic work. Students who would like to be considered for a TAP waiver should contact the Office of the Registrar.

How do I apply for veterans’ benefits?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

To apply for veterans’ benefits, bring a certified copy (or copy #4) of your DD214 form to the office of the registrar with your acceptance letter. MCNY is approved for the training of veterans by the New York State Department of Education.

Veterans may be certified for benefits for one semester at a time and must contact the registrar prior to the start of each new semester to be recertified. Veterans should be aware that any change in student status, such as nonattendance or withdrawal, may affect their benefits and must be reported immediately to the registrar.

The office of student services provides tutoring to veterans and counselors make every effort to assist veterans in making the most of their potential as students. For more information, students should contact: New York State Regional Office of the Veterans Administration, 252 Seventh Avenue, New York, NY 10001, 212-620-6514.

If I have a bursar or library balance, may I still request a transcript? May I have an unofficial copy instead? May I request a transcript for employment?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

MCNY policy restricts you from receiving any type of transcript with a bursar or library balance.

If my transcript was sent but the recipient still has not received it, what do I do next?2017-12-15T12:13:10-05:00

Our new, electronic ordering system will notify you via email when your recipient has downloaded the digital PDF transcript. If you requested a physical copy through the mail and have questions, please contact the office of the registrar.

How do I transfer from one degree or program to another?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

You must complete a Change of Degree/Curriculum form and fax to the office of the registrar. Please consult the Student Handbook for the policies governing the transfer that you are considering.

I’ve completed registration, but my name does not appear on the attendance roster. Why?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

Contact the Office of the Registrar to confirm that you are registered and that you are attending the courses and sections for which you are registered.

If I were unable to come in person, how would I obtain my diploma?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

If you are not able to come to the office in person due to extenuating circumstances, you may request that the diploma be mailed to you. If your circumstances are due to medical disability or an out-of-state residence, you may fax a written request to the attention of the office of the registrar at 212-343-7397, including your:

  • Name
  • Student ID or social security number
  • Former mailing address
  • New mailing address
  • Photo ID: A photocopy of your MCNY ID card, driver’s license, job photo ID or passport
  • Reason for requesting it be mailed to you with supporting documentation (if medical)
  • Signature

We will mail your diploma certified to the new address you indicate. If you have a bursar or library hold, you must contact that office and resolve the balance before your diploma is released.

Please note: Students who live within the New York metropolitan area and those who do not have a documented physical impairment are expected to retrieve their diplomas in person. The office of the registrar will not honor such requests.

How do I change my name for the diploma?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

You must complete an Application for Graduation to have your folder audited for graduation and to verify the name you would like to appear on the diploma. Any changes of name must be notarized with supporting documentation and the Change of Name form.
Please note: Once you have completed the course requirements at the close of your final semester, pending or outstanding grades notwithstanding, no additional changes to your name will be accepted.

How can I order a replacement for my original diploma?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

MCNY does not issue duplicate diplomas for graduates. The diploma that you receive is the only copy to which you will be entitled. Please keep it in a safe place.

How soon will I get my diploma?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

A thorough degree audit of every candidate’s folder may take eight to 10 weeks before the graduating class is certified. Once the class has been certified, the office of the registrar orders the diplomas from an outside source. It usually takes several weeks (and up to four months in unusual circumstances) to fill an order. Upon receipt of the diplomas, the office of the registrar will package each diploma and mail pick-up instructions to each graduate.

Will I receive my diploma at the graduation ceremony?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

No, diploma distribution is not part of the actual ceremony. Graduates will be notified at a later date by the office of the registrar by mail when the diplomas are available with instructions on how to retrieve them.

When are loan deferments processed?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

Loan deferments are processed after you have been verified for four weeks of attendance.

What is a loan deferment?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

A loan deferment certifies your enrollment for the current semester allowing you to postpone repayment of the principal balance of the loan. The In-School Deferment must be returned to the office of the registrar.

Are there any health requirements to enroll at MCNY?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

New York State law requires that all students submit proof of immunity against mumps, measles and rubella.

How do I participate in the graduation ceremony?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

Call 212-343-1234, ext. 7005 for information. A memo is mailed to each eligible student with information about participating in commencement well in advance.

What documents do I need to file to graduate?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

The office of the registrar only requires a completed Application for Graduation.

Is my folder complete? How do I check my folder?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

Contact the admissions department at 212 343-1234, ext. 5001 to verify that all of your required admissions documents are in your folder. For more information on the academic requirements to graduate your particular degree program, consult the Student Handbook.

If I have submitted work to my professor and am expecting a grade change, how do I verify that the grade has been changed?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

The report reflecting the updated grade will be printed and mailed to you.

When does my “I” turn into an “F”?2017-02-13T19:13:18-05:00

The “I” turns into an “F” after the tenth week of the new semester.

How soon do I have to turn in my work to resolve an incomplete?2017-02-13T19:13:19-05:00

You must turn in work to satisfy your incomplete grade by the date indicated by your professor on an Incomplete Grade Notification form, but no later than the seventh week of the new semester. It is important to clear up any incompletes quickly. Check the academic calendar for specific dates.

What does an “NR” grade mean?2017-02-13T19:13:19-05:00

The “NR” is a temporary placeholder grade issued by the office of the registrar in cases where the grade intended by the professor is unclear. The professor is notified and upon the professor’s reply, the “NR” will be replaced with an actual grade. An updated grade report with the professor’s intended grade will be sent to you.

What is MCNY’s grading scale?2018-05-10T12:58:13-04:00

MCNY will have grades ranging from “A” through “F” and will also include minus grades. Click here to download a Transcript Explanation form.

If a company/employer needs to verify my enrollment, what is required in order to receive the information?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

The company must provide to the office of the registrar a written request including a copy of the release form that you signed authorizing that your educational information may be released to them. Processing time is usually one to two business days from the day that the request is received.

How would I request a transcript?2017-12-15T12:12:41-05:00

MCNY transcripts are requested via our new, online ordering system. We recommend selecting the electronic PDF delivery method, as it usually provides your transcript in just a few minutes. The PDF is digitally signed for authenticity.

Are there income tax implications if I use the voucher?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

Yes, MCNY must issue an IRS 1099 form at the year’s end for the value of the tuition of the course(s) covered by the voucher(s). You are encouraged to discuss this with your tax advisor.

What happens to my voucher if I should withdraw?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

The voucher is expended once you enroll. No extension, replacement or rain check will be issued if you withdraw.

Will a duplicate voucher be issued if one is lost?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

No, the voucher will not be replaced.

Might someone else use the voucher if I am unable?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

No, the voucher is not transferable.

Will I be guaranteed enrollment for the course that I choose?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

Although priority seating will be offered to paying enrollees, MCNY will strive to place you in your chosen course.

How many courses may I take?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

You may take one course per voucher. If you have two vouchers you may take two courses.

What is the cost of the course?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

Although the course is free with the voucher, you are responsible for all applicable fees and the cost of books.

When may I register as cooperating teacher?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

Registration with the voucher extends from the end of preregistration (academic advisement) through the first day of classes. Please check the academic calendar for specific dates.

What do I do once I have received the GED?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

Since you will receive the only original, please bring the GED to the office of the registrar to update your folder.

How and when may I apply for my GED?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

MCNY does not issue the GED. Please read the directions thoroughly and complete a GED Requirements Packet. If you have satisfied the course requirements, you may submit the packet and a money order to the office of the registrar. The office of the registrar will then send the packet and money order to the NY State Education Department (NYSED) in Albany. It often takes up to three months for NYSED to send you the GED.

What do I do if I think I deserved a higher final grade in a class?2020-11-23T16:34:14-05:00

Questions about a final grade should always be brought to your professor for that course. If you still believe that you have a bona fide reason to dispute the grade after that conversation, you can submit an official Grade Appeal. The Grade Appeal process is detailed in the Student Handbook and the proper form and instructions can be downloaded here.

When is the last date to register for classes?2020-11-23T16:40:19-05:00

All students are expected to register for classes before the first day of the semester. Late registration generally extends through the first week of each semester. If you register during the late registration period, you will: be responsible for all missed work; be marked as absent for classes that you missed; incur a late fee. It is always best to register early. Specific registration dates can be found on the academic calendar.

When does the semester start and end?2020-11-23T16:38:00-05:00

MCNY has three full semesters in an academic year. The start and end dates of each semester are posted on the academic calendar.

Can the credits I received at another college be used toward my degree at MCNY?2020-11-23T16:47:23-05:00

Transcripts from previous colleges are reviewed during the Admission process to produce a personalized transfer Credit Evaluation for you. Any credits for courses that meet our transfer credit standards can be used toward your degree at MCNY. If you are an enrolled student and still have questions about your transfer credits, please speak to your academic advisor.

What is advisement?2020-11-23T16:48:15-05:00

In short, advisement covers nearly everything we do in Student Services. Advisors can help you to understand your degree requirements, grades, academic progress, course schedule, college policies, and most any other question that you may have on how to succeed in college.

Your Advisor in Student Services is also your point person for registration, and every student connects with their Advisor to review and approve registration.

Do I have to complete a Financial Aid application every semester?2020-11-23T16:49:10-05:00

The Free Application for Federal Student Aid, commonly called a FAFSA, only needs to be completed once every academic year. For financial aid purposes, the academic year begins with the Summer semester. Let’s say you started at MCNY in Fall 2020 and filed a FAFSA for the 2020-2021 academic year. This would cover your aid for the Fall 2020 and Spring 2021 semesters. To receive aid for the Summer 2021 semester you would need to file a 2021-2022 FAFSA, which would also cover Fall 2021 and Spring 2022. It is always best to file your FAFSA early and discuss your questions and eligibility with a Financial Aid counselor.

When is the last date that I can withdraw from one, some, or all of my courses?2020-11-23T16:55:29-05:00

You can withdraw from one or more courses through the tenth week of the semester. The official deadline for withdrawals is posted on the academic calendar. Although course withdrawals do not affect your GPA, you will still be charged tuition and they may impact financial aid. We strongly recommend keeping this as a last option. Your advisor can help you explore all options.


How can I contact my professor in between classes?2020-11-23T16:56:35-05:00

The best way to contact your professor, or anyone at MCNY, is through their official mcny.edu email. Keep in mind that many of your instructors are adjunct professors and they may not always be available on days when their classes are not in session.

What should I do if I can’t come to class?2020-11-23T16:57:28-05:00

Keeping in mind that attendance is an essential part of each course, it is important that as a student you try to attend every class. Nonetheless, in those times when you cannot, it is highly recommended that you contact your professor(s) by email. Whenever possible, try to make arrangements to submit any work that’s due. It’s also a good idea to connect with classmates to get any assignments or notes that you might have missed.

What other sources of financial aid should I check out?2017-02-13T17:57:24-05:00

If you or your parents are employed ask your company or labor union if it has a tuition reimbursement program.

Check to see if the church or community organization you or your parents belong to has an educational grant or scholarship program.

If you are a veteran of the U.S. Armed Forces or the child of a veteran, you may be eligible for veterans’ educational benefits. Learn about your eligibility for these benefits at the Veterans Administration GI bill website.

Vocational and Educational Services for individuals with Disabilities (VESID) is a NYS government office that provides a variety of educationally related services and some financial assistance for eligible students.

You may be eligible for a Hope or Lifetime Learning education credit, both of which you claim when you file your taxes.

The New York State Department of Education, in conjunction with the New York State Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC), makes a number of academic merit and service awards each year. For more information about more than a dozen NYS sponsored academic award programs, please visit HESC’s Grants, Scholarships and Special Awards page.

In response to the terrorist attacks of September 11 in New York City, Washington D.C. and Pennsylvania, the World Trade Center Memorial Scholarship was established for the victims and families of victims of the attacks. Visit the WTC Memorial Scholarship Information Page to learn more about this and other scholarship resources available to victims of the September 11 terrorist attacks.

For those who wish to conduct your own scholarship searches, you may want to try the following free scholarship searches:


Note: The use of any scholarship search that charges a fee is not recommended.

To find out more information on federal student aid and for help in completing the FAFSA, visit www.studentaid.ed.gov.

For general information about federal student financial assistance programs or help in completing the FAFSA, or to obtain federal student aid publications, call 1-800-433-3243.

Additional Resources include:
www.studentloans.gov – For information on student loans.
www.hesc.com – General information on your TAP grant.

If you cannot find the information you are looking for, send us an email at sfs@mcny.edu and we will get back to you within two business days.

I got an outside scholarship. Should I report it to the financial aid office?2017-02-13T17:51:50-05:00

Yes. If you are receiving any kind of financial aid from sources outside of MCNY, you must report the scholarship to the Financial Aid Office. We may adjust your financial aid package to compensate. Nevertheless, the outside scholarship will have some beneficial effects. For instance, outside scholarships may be used to replace loans.

Can I get Pell for repeating a course?2017-02-13T17:51:24-05:00

Sometimes if a higher minimum grade in a major course is required, you can receive federal aid again for that course. You should remember that repeating a course may limit your ability to meet the Satisfactory Academic Performance requirements for receipt of federal student aid.

What is a Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG)?2017-02-13T17:51:01-05:00

FSEOGs are awarded to undergraduate students with exceptional financial need, i.e., those with the lowest expected family contribution (EFC) numbers. Federal Pell Grant recipients receive priority for FSEOG awards.

How do I apply for a Pell Grant and other types of need-based aid?2017-02-13T17:50:27-05:00

You should file a FAFSA at www.fafsa.ed.gov and indicate your interest in student employment and student loans by checking the appropriate boxes on the FAFSA. Checking these boxes does not commit you to accepting these types of aid. You will have the opportunity to accept or decline each part of your aid package later. Leaving these boxes unchecked will not increase the amount of grants you receive.

What is a federal Pell Grant?2017-02-13T17:49:56-05:00

Pell Grants are the foundation of federal student aid, to which aid from other federal and nonfederal sources might be added. Pell Grants are for undergraduate students.

How much aid can I get?2017-02-13T17:49:35-05:00

Aid from most programs is awarded based on financial need (except for unsubsidized and PLUS loans).
An expected family contribution (EFC) number is used to determine need. The EFC is a measure of your family’s financial strength and is calculated from the information you report on the FAFSA.

To be eligible for a Federal Pell Grant, your EFC must be below a certain number, which can vary from year to year. The EFC (expected family contribution) formula must be applied to each family’s financial information, so we can’t tell you here whether you’ll be eligible for federal student aid or estimate how much aid you might get.
You will need to apply to find out exactly how much you will be eligible for. If you want to see exactly how the EFC formula works, you can get detailed worksheets from the website www.studentaid.ed.gov/pubs. Click on the year under The EFC Formula.

Who gets financial aid?2017-02-13T17:48:47-05:00

The financial aid administrator at your college can help determine what you’re eligible for. There are, however, some basic guidelines for all applicants. They must:

  • Demonstrate financial need; this means that your cost of education is greater than your family contribution.
  • Be working toward a degree.
  • Be enrolled in an eligible program.
  • Be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen, be a New York state resident for NY state aid (TAP).
  • Have a valid Social Security number.
  • Be registered with the Selective Service (if required).
  • Maintain academic progress once in college.
  • Have a high school diploma or General Education Development (GED) certificate.
  • Not be convicted of selling or possessing illegal drugs while receiving aid.
  • Not be in default of federal student loans or state student loans for NY state financial aid (TAP).
Do I need to be admitted before I can apply for financial aid at a particular university?2017-02-13T17:48:07-05:00

No. You can apply for financial aid any time after January 1. To actually receive funds, however, you must be admitted and enrolled at the college.

I probably don’t qualify for aid. Should I apply for aid anyway?2017-02-13T17:47:33-05:00

Yes. Many families mistakenly think they don’t qualify for aid and prevent themselves from receiving financial aid by failing to apply for it. In addition, there are a few sources of aid such as unsubsidized Direct and PLUS loans that are available regardless of need. The FAFSA form is free. There is no good excuse for not applying.

Do I have to reapply for financial aid every year?2017-02-13T17:47:07-05:00

Yes. You must apply for financial aid every year. If your financial circumstances change, you may get more or less aid. Note that your eligibility for financial aid may change significantly, especially if you have a different number of family members in college. Renewal of your financial aid package also depends on making satisfactory academic progress toward a degree, such as earning a minimum number of credits and achieving a minimum GPA.

How soon after January 1 should the FAFSA form be sent in? Is it better to wait until the income tax forms have been completed?2017-02-13T17:43:25-05:00

Send in the form as soon as possible after January 1. Do not wait until your taxes are done. Although it is better to do your taxes early, it is ok to use estimates of your income, so long as they aren’t very far off from the actual values. You will have an opportunity to correct any errors later. If you wait too long, you might miss the deadline for scholarships and/or campus based aid such as work-study.

Why can’t I submit my financial aid application before January 1?2017-02-13T17:42:39-05:00

The need analysis process for financial aid uses the family’s income and tax information from the most recent tax year to judge your eligibility for need-based financial aid during the upcoming academic year. Since the base year ends December 31, you cannot submit a financial aid application until January 1.

When should I apply?2017-02-13T17:42:15-05:00

You can apply for financial aid even before you’ve been accepted to a college or soon after you file your taxes. Most applicants follow this guideline:

For summer and fall, we recommend that you apply immediately after January 1, but not before this date. Any application that is received before January 1 for the fall semester of the following year will not be processed and you’ll have to reapply.

For spring, we recommend that you apply before November so that your financial aid application is processed before you begin classes.

I missed the link to TAP on the website when I completed my FAFSA online. Can I get it done any other way?2017-02-13T17:41:48-05:00

Yes. You could wait until you receive either an email or a postcard with the Web address of TAP on the Web or you can visit www.tapweb.org. You can then set up a PIN number, which will allow you to access the TAP on the website and you can complete your TAP application and have it submitted to HESC.

You can also call 1-800-433-3243 for help with filling out your FAFSA.
You can also call 1-888-697-4372 for help with filling out your TAP.

I don’t think I’ll be eligible for a TAP grant. Why should I bother to complete the application?2017-02-13T17:40:55-05:00

You’ll never know if you are eligible for TAP until you apply. By applying, New York State will determine whether you are eligible for a TAP grant. The application is free and you just might qualify. Many students who are not eligible for Pell Grants still qualify for TAP.

How do I apply for TAP?2017-02-13T17:40:28-05:00

The TAP (Tuition Assistance Program) application is for New York State residents to apply for NY State financial aid. Once you complete your FAFSA online, you will get to the Confirmation Page. Click on the link to apply for New York State-based financial aid and you will be directed to the Higher Education Services Corporation (HESC) website in order to fill out your TAP application. If you miss the link, you will get an email within a week from HESC with information on how to complete your TAP application. If you do not supply an email address on your FAFSA, you will be notified by a postcard on how to complete your TAP application.

How do I apply for financial aid?2017-02-13T17:37:44-05:00

You can complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) electronically from your computer or with a paper application. The FAFSA is the application form required for all federal and state aid.
The FAFSA form can be found on the Web at www.fafsa.ed.gov. If you don’t have a computer, you can use one at your library or Student Financial Service’s computer lab. This is an interactive Web page. You’ll be able to fill out the application online and submit it over the Internet. Be assured that your answers will be kept confidential.

What is student financial aid?2017-02-13T17:34:23-05:00

Financial aid covers school expenses, including tuition and fees, room and board, books and supplies, and transportation. The various categories of student financial aid are grants, work-study, loans and scholarships.

Can I transfer credits from online/distance courses?2017-02-13T17:31:58-05:00

Yes, as long as they come from regionally accredited institutions. Admissions will validate the school and courses and then give you a determination as to whether or not they are acceptable.

How about transfer credit for life experience?2017-02-13T17:31:35-05:00

MCNY does accept CLEP credits for life experience, and had an Advanced Standing option in our BPS in Human Services program. You can learn more about this by speaking with your Admissions Counselor.

I do not wish to transfer credits earned at my prior institution(s), do I have to?2017-02-13T17:31:08-05:00

Although we do not advise you to leave any credits on the table, as you have earned and paid for them, if you wish to forfeit transfer credits earned at other institutions, please send an email to your Admissions Counselor detailing the schools/credits you do not wish to transfer. You cannot change your mind down the road; once you have forfeited the credits MCNY will not apply them later.

Can I transfer credit after matriculating at MCNY?2017-02-13T17:30:51-05:00

No. Transfer credits from prior institutions need to be applied before your first semester with MCNY.

Is there a minimum/maximum amount of transfer credits MCNY will accept?2017-02-13T17:30:29-05:00

Although there is no minimum, MCNY will accept up to 12 Credits towards your associate degree, up to 90 credits for your bachelor’s degree, and in certain cases up to six credits towards a graduate degree. Credits need to be relevant and equivalent or they will not be accepted.

Is it easy to transfer to Metropolitan College of New York?2017-02-13T17:30:07-05:00

MCNY makes it very easy to transfer in to the college. An application and transcripts are all you need to get started. A Transfer Credit Evaluation (TCE) is typically completed within a week, if not earlier, and after you sign the TCE, they will be applied when you register for classes.

I have a new name since I graduated high school and/or college, does that matter?2017-02-13T17:29:10-05:00

Yes, we will need proof of the name change. A marriage certificate, name change form, or other official documentation will need to be placed in your admissions file.

Do you offer housing or meal plans?2017-02-13T17:28:29-05:00

No, MCNY does not offer housing or meal plans. Both the Manhattan Campus and Bronx Center are located in areas with a wide range of restaurant options.

Does MCNY have fully online programs?2018-05-23T16:55:46-04:00

We are excited to announce the upcoming Fall 2018 launch of our College’s first fully online program, designed towards a graduate degree in Emergency and Disaster Management (MPA – EDM) and offered by The MCNY School for Public Affairs and Administration. More information on the Online Master’s in Emergency and Disaster Management https://www.mcny.edu/academics/school-public-affairs-administration/mpa-in-emergency-and-disaster-management-online/
MCNY does offer hybrid and online classes within most of our degree programs. More information can be found in the Academic section of our website. https://www.mcny.edu/academics/

How can I complete a degree in fewer than three years? A bachelor’s degree takes four years to complete almost everywhere else.2017-02-13T17:27:43-05:00

MCNY offers three full semesters per year, allowing you to complete a four semester associates degree in 16 month (versus two years), an eight semester bachelor’s degree just two years and eight months (versus four years), and a 45 credit master’s degree in as little as one year (versus two plus years).

I want to go back to school, but I have to work full-time. Is MCNY right for me?2017-02-13T17:27:14-05:00

MCNY works primarily with adult learners like you. Our programs are designed around your schedule. Need daytime, evening, or an evening and weekend class option? MCNY has them. Most programs have a few options to meet your needs and we are increasing our online class offerings to allow you even more flexibility.

Are there scholarships available?2017-02-13T17:26:43-05:00

MCNY has a number of merit and need-based scholarships for undergraduate, graduate, transfer and international students. More information can be found on the scholarships page.

What are the admissions deadlines?2017-02-13T17:25:44-05:00

Metropolitan College of New York has rolling admissions, which mean you can apply at any point for any semester. Our published application deadlines are the following.

Fall semester: Immediately following Labor Day.
Spring semester: The first week of January.
Summer semester: Late April/early May.

I have been out of school for a long time and I am reluctant to begin attending full time. Will I be able to manage it?2017-02-13T17:13:36-05:00

The majority of our students are adults who have either never attended college or who stopped attending college due to family or personal obligations. Our unique curriculum has been specifically designed to accommodate the adult student. Our flexible schedules make it possible for students to attend classes full time without forcing them to disrupt their professional or personal lives. You can work full time and earn credits while applying what you learn in class to what you do on the job.

After completing my bachelor’s degree, can I continue my education toward a graduate degree program?2017-02-13T17:13:09-05:00

Yes, at MCNY you can continue straight from your undergraduate degree into one of our accelerated graduate programs. This allows you to finish your bachelor’s and master’s degrees in about the same time it take students to complete their bachelor’s at others colleges and universities. Over 60% of our alumni have gone on to some of the tri-state area’s top colleges and universities to earn graduate degrees in fields such as Law (JD), business administration (MBA), public administration (MPA), social work (MSW and DSW), education (MEd), counseling (MA) and clinical psychology (PhD), and many other graduate degree and certificate programs.

What are the possible career paths for business graduates?2017-02-13T17:08:27-05:00

Our alumni have gone on to be successful in the fields of: management, marketing, investment, advertising, personnel administration, entertainment, computer information systems, financial planning, international banking, media, publishing, training and development and real estate. In addition, many of our alumni have started their own businesses.

What are some of the career choices a degree in Human Services will offer me?2017-02-13T17:02:46-05:00

Alumni of our Audrey Cohen School for Human Services and Education have gone on to excel in such fields as: foster care, counseling, education, gerontology, human service administration, mental health, human resources, law, public health, community services, criminal justice, health administration and government. Some graduates have started their own nonprofits.

When do I begin interning?2017-02-13T17:01:33-05:00

Human Services students must begin their internship in their second semester. A minimum of 14 hours per week is required and must be in the related field. Business students must be either employed, have an internship or volunteer in a business setting by the second semester.

What is the total number of credits that I can transfer?2017-02-13T16:59:57-05:00

Credits are transferred on a credit-by-credit basis. The maximum number of transfer credits that can be obtained varies by undergraduate program. Those students transferring from colleges with an articulation agreement with Metropolitan College of New York should speak to a counselor regarding credit transfer eligibility.

What are the requirements for transfer students?2017-02-13T16:59:32-05:00

A student’s credentials will be evaluated to determine if an entrance examination is required before entering the College. The College can only transfer credits that have been obtained from coursework comparable to ours, in which the student has earned a grade of “C” or better. Transfer credits older than 10 years (five years for technical courses) will not be acceptable for transfer.

Is Metropolitan College of New York Accredited?2017-02-13T16:58:59-05:00

Yes, the College holds accreditation from the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools and all of MCNY’s programs are registered with the New York State Board of Regents. In addition, the College is a member of the National Association of Schools of Public Affairs and Administration; the American Association of Education; the American Association of Higher Education; the Association of Colleges and Universities of the State of New York; the Council of Adult and Experiential Learning; and the Commission on Independent Colleges and Universities. MCNY is also an associate member of the Hispanic Association of Colleges and Universities (HACU).

What are some of the unique features of Metropolitan College of New York??2017-02-13T16:52:25-05:00

Our College offers small classes, individualized learning, a unique curriculum that enables a person to complete a fully accredited bachelor’s degree in two years and eight months and a master’s degree in as little as one year, while working full time, and a Learning Commons that includes free tutoring services, an academic resource center, a complete research library. It’s all part of the MCNY Advantage.

What are the entrance requirements for International students?2017-11-30T12:56:42-05:00

International applicants are required to complete MCNY admissions requirements of their desired program for acceptance consideration. Applicants from regions where English is not their native language are required to meet one of MCNY’s English proficiency requirements. Accepted international applicants may be eligible for the SEVIS I-20 if they provide proper supporting financial documentation for the duration and completion of study.

How large is your student body?2017-02-13T16:46:52-05:00

Our student body consists of approximately 1,200 students.

When may I apply?2017-02-13T16:46:08-05:00

We recommend that applications be submitted at least one month prior to the start of the semester: Fall begins immediately following Labor Day; Spring begins in early January, and Summers starts in late April/early May. However, applications can be made at any time on a year-round basis. The College accepts students on a rolling basis for the three-terms per year. Graduate students can apply anytime to begin their studies in the Fall, Spring or Summer semester.

How long will it take me to earn my degree at MCNY?2017-02-13T16:38:03-05:00

Our accelerated programs and three-semesters-a-year schedule means you can earn:

  • An Associate of Arts degree in one year and four months.
  • A bachelor’s degree in two years and eight months or even less, with applicable transfer credits.
  • A master’s degree in one year.

Empowering Marketers With Valuable Resources

Let’s Supercharge Your Online Growth