The MCNY Office of Career Services offers career services to MCNY alumni, as well as an array of useful resources. These services are available at no charge and include individual counseling and coaching sessions and workshops in such topics as:
Resume writing review
- Career planning guidance
- Interviewing strategies and coaching
- Tips and techniques for looking online for employment
- Networking strategies
- Preparation for our Annual Career Fair
About the Alumni Career Services Advisory Network
The principle purpose of the network is to give students and alumni access to knowledgeable individuals (alumni volunteers) who are willing to provide information on the latest career and work place trends. Networking with targeted alumni can help get an insider’s view of the world of work. Whether deciding on a college major, developing career plans, or looking for job search advice, speaking with experienced alumni can help.
The Alumni Career Advisory Network will consist of an on-line searchable database of MCNY grads who have volunteered to be career advisors and share their career experiences with students and other alumni.
Alumni Career Advisors
The Office of Career Services (OCS) is currently recruiting alumni interested in volunteering to serve as Career Advisors for its new on-line career advisory network. Alumni who volunteer to be advisors will agree to be contacted for information and advice on choosing, advancing and changing careers. They will be asked to share their expertise, but will not be expected to provide jobs or to accept resumes, nor should they be contacted to solicit business.
Here are some questions that advisors are typically asked:
- What is the nature of your job?
- Describe a typical week
- How does your academic background relate to your job?
- Can you recommend specific courses I should take?
- What skills are necessary to succeed in this field?
- What other fields relate to your college major?
- Where does this career path lead?
- Can you tell me about the industry in which you work?
- What advanced degrees are necessary to enter/advance in this field?
- How did you find your current position?