Student Services FAQ

Student Services FAQ2018-03-22T16:26:13-04:00
How do I know if I qualify for accommodations?2017-06-29T12:37:55-04:00

If you suspect you have a medical, psychological, or learning disability, you must be evaluated by a medical professional that can provide you with an assessment and evaluation that documents the nature of your disability.

I received special education (IDEA) or 504 services in high school how are these services different in college?2017-06-29T12:37:37-04:00

In college, students with disabilities are covered under Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act and under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). IDEA no longer applies. Since this is the case, the legal obligations change. There is no special education in college. Colleges do not have to seek out students with disabilities. It is the student’s responsibility to seek out services through the Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services.

How long does it take to receive accommodations?2017-06-29T12:37:19-04:00

Once the completed Application for Accommodations and Documentation of the Disability have been received and reviewed, you will be approved for your accommodations within 1-2 weeks.

How do I know if my accommodations have been approved?2017-06-29T12:37:02-04:00

You will receive an Accommodation Letter (via email) from the Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services that will also be sent to all professors for the current semester informing them of your approved accommodations.

Do I have to make an appointment to receive accommodations?2017-06-29T12:36:46-04:00

Please email access@mcny.edu to schedule an appointment with an Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services representative.

What should I communicate to my professors?2017-06-29T12:36:31-04:00

Once the professors have received the Accommodation Letter (via email) you should reach out to your professors to discuss how to best utilize your accommodations for each specific course.

Is my information confidential?2017-06-29T12:36:15-04:00

Yes, all information and documentation provided will remain confidential and kept separate from all other student education records. Learn more.

I suspect I have a learning disability; can the Office of Accommodation and Accessibility Services conduct the evaluations and/or assessment to provide a diagnosis?2017-06-29T12:35:59-04:00

Unfortunately, MCNY does not have the resources on campus to provide evaluations or assessments to students with disabilities. However, you can view a list of evaluation resources.

I am not happy with my grade from last semester, how do I refute it?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

A student can contest the grades by filling out a Grades Appeal Form with the office of the registrar. The form can be also found in the Student Handbook.

When is the last date to register? When is the last day to drop a class?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

Refer to the academic calendar for important academic dates.

When does the semester start and end? Which Holidays are observed by MCNY?2018-02-15T12:46:02-05:00

Refer to the academic calendar for all important MCNY dates.

Are all college credits transferable?2017-02-13T19:14:35-05:00

No, we must have an articulation agreement with the college and you must have a grade of C or better in order to transfer. The maximum is 64 credits.

What is advisement?2017-02-13T18:17:11-05:00

Advisement is when you meet with a counselor in student services and go over your grades from past semesters and the class schedule for the upcoming semester. The registration form is then completed for the upcoming semester. This is a time to discuss your academic and career goals and any relevant issues.

Do I have to do the FAFSA every semester?2017-02-13T18:15:44-05:00

No, the FASFA covers three semesters. You must complete the FAFSA every year during the spring semester when you do advisement for the summer semester. Find out more about financial aid here.

When is the latest date that I can officially withdraw?2017-02-13T18:15:06-05:00

The last day of the tenth week. Refer to the academic calendar for the specific date.

How can I contact a professor in between classes or when classes are not held?2017-02-13T18:13:59-05:00

If you do not have his/her number, you may email them using the first letter of their first name and their last name@mcny.edu.edu.

What should I do if I can’t come to class?2017-02-13T18:12:59-05:00

If you are not going to class, call or email your professor. If possible, make arrangements with a classmate to hand-in your homework or email to your professor any assignments due. Also, contact one of your classmates to get any assignment you might miss.