Available to parents and stepparents of dependent undergraduate students attending school at least half time (6 credits). Often lower in cost than a private loan, approval is subject to credit criteria established by the U.S. Department of Education. A PLUS loan must be repaid and it is the responsibility of parents to make these payments.
- Both the student and parent must complete the FAFSA using school code 009769.
- The parent must submit a PLUS loan promissory note (MPN) online at studentloans.gov, indicating the amount requested. By submitting the application, you are consenting to a financial credit check and permitting the Department of Education to inform MCNY of the results. Our federal school code for loans is 009769.
Graduate and professional degree students who are enrolled at least half time are eligible up to their cost of attendance, minus other estimated financial assistance. Students are required to have applied for their annual loan maximum eligibility under the Direct Student Loan Program before applying for a graduate/professional PLUS loan.
- Complete a PLUS Promissory Note and submit to a credit check online at studentloans.gov
- Complete Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) using school code 009769.
- Apply for Graduate PLUS loan if needed by logging on to the Federal Department of Education’s website at studentloans.gov. Our federal school code for loans is 009769.
You can find important information about repayment rights and responsibilities, grace periods, managing your debt, and tracking your loan at studentloans.gov.
Many lenders offer private alternative loans to help students bridge the gap between financial aid and college costs. Students must either meet the credit criteria of the loan for which they are applying or have a credit-eligible co-borrower.
- Select a lender and then contact them directly. Our office will process your loan with whichever lender you choose.
- The lender will provide you with application instructions and all necessary paperwork. The MCNY’s code for loans is 009769.
- Download and complete the Student Self-Certification Form. These forms are to be completed by the student and submitted upon request to the lender of choice.