Financial Aid Application Steps
Complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)
FAFSA and required documentation:
- MCNY School code:
- FAFSA Assistance: The Financial Aid computer lab is available for assistance by a FA representative.
Contact your Financial Aid counselor.
For your convenience, we have representatives at both the Manhattan and Bronx campuses.
- FAFSA Results: The College will receive FAFSA results from the Department of Education within 3-5 business days.
- Verification: If selected for verification, you will be notified of required documentation by email.
Essential Student (and/or parent) information needed to complete 2022-23 FAFSA:
- Federal Student Aid ID and password (if you have already created one)
- 2020 Taxes for the 2022-23 FAFSA.
NY State Residents - Apply for New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP)
Full-time undergraduate students who are residents of New York State may also apply for the New York State Tuition Assistance Program (TAP). This is a grant program, which means you don’t have to pay it back.
How it works:
After you submit the FAFSA, you will be provided with a link to your online TAP application. Once you complete your online TAP application and after the state higher education agency receives your FAFSA data, you will be sent an award certificate.
If you already have a tap application on file and need to add MCNY’s school code, please follow this link. MCNY’s TAP code is
To contact the TAP office by phone, call 1-888-NYSHESC (1-888-697-4372).
- Awards are based on New York State net taxable income and tuition charges.
- Initial TAP awards are listed as estimates on the Financial Aid Award Letter. The estimates are based on income information provided on the FAFSA.
Complete Direct Loan Entrance Counseling
Student loan entrance counseling is a mandatory process that is intended to help borrowers better understand the responsibilities that they will be taking on with borrowing federal loans.
Complete Master Promissory Note (MPN)
Students must sign a Master Promissory Note before receiving a federal loan for college. The promissory note is a legally binding agreement whereby the student agrees to repay the loan, accrued interest and fees to the Department of Education.
For Graduate Students Only
Optional Step: Apply for a graduate student plus loan
The Federal Direct Grad PLUS Loan is a credit-based loan that graduate students may borrow to help pay their educational expenses.
If your graduate plus loan was approved, sign the Master Promissory Note (MPN) to apply funds to your account
For Graduate MSED Students Only
Learn more and apply for the Teach Grant Program
For questions regarding financial aid application steps, contact the Financial Aid Office