The Enhanced Tuition Awards program provides tuition awards to students who are New York State residents attending a private college located in New York State. Recipients will receive $6,000 through a combination of their TAP award, ETA award and a match from their private college.
A recipient of an Enhanced Tuition Award is eligible to receive award payments for not more than two years of full-time undergraduate study in a program leading to an Associate’s degree or four years of full-time undergraduate study, or five years if the program of study normally requires five years in a program leading to a Bachelor’s degree.
You must live in New York State for the length of time you received the award. Failure to meet these requirements will result in the conversion of your award to a no-interest loan.
What you need
To complete the application you will need:
Copies of your family’s 2018 New York State income tax return(s)
Application Deadline: August 31, 2020
Applying for the Enhanced Tuition Award
In order to apply, students must meet eligibility requirements, including:
- be a resident of NYS and have resided in NYS for 12 continuous months prior to the beginning of the term;
- be a U.S. citizen or eligible non-citizen;
- have either graduated from high school in the United States, earned a high school equivalency diploma, or passed a federally approved “Ability to Benefit” test, as defined by the Commissioner of the State Education Department;
- have a combined federal adjusted gross income of $125,000 or less, as reported on your family’s 2018 tax return;
- be pursuing an undergraduate degree at a participating private college or university located in New York State;
- be enrolled in at least 12 credits per term and complete at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program;
- if attended college prior to the 2019-20 academic year, have earned at least 30 credits each year (successively), applicable toward his or her degree program prior to applying for an Enhanced Tuition Award;
- be in a non-default status on any student loan(s) made under any NYS or federal education loan program or on the repayment of any NYS award;
- be in compliance with the terms of the service condition(s) imposed by any NYS award(s) that you have previously received; and execute a Contract agreeing to reside in NYS for the length of time the award was received, and, if employed during such time, be employed in NYS.