Have you been offered a full-time teaching job before completing the MSEd program?
If you are at least halfway through the MSEd program and you have an offer to be hired as a full-time teacher by a public school, you may be eligible to apply for a temporary NYSED Internship Certificate if you meet all of the criteria.
The temporary NYSED Internship Certificate allows a teacher candidate to serve as a full-time paid teacher-of-record while completing the master’s degree program. The certificate is no longer valid when the teacher candidate completes or leaves the MSEd program.
At MCNY, teacher candidates must complete both Purpose 1 and 2 to be eligible, and the temporary Internship Certificate is valid through the completion of Purpose 3. Because of the requirement for college supervision during the final student teaching semester, the MSED program will recommend teacher candidates only after they have registered for all of the remaining Purpose 3 courses, including EDU 530 PUR – Analysis of Teaching Behaviors Grades 4-6 and EDU 530 CON – Practicum Grades 4-6. The teacher candidate will need to be supervised at the school site by an experienced certified teacher or administrator during the temporary Internship Certificate semester.
The general criteria for a temporary Internship Certificate recommendation are as follows:
- Minimum cumulative 3.3 GPA
- Passing score on the Educating All Students (EAS) exam
- Minimum final grade of A- or A for EDU 520 PUR – Analysis of Teaching Behaviors Grades 1-3 and EDU 520 CON – Practicum Grades 1-3
- Completed NYSED’s required workshops for certification before the start of your teaching semester. The required workshops are Child Abuse Identification and Reporting, School Violence Prevention and Intervention (SEM 521 VAL), and DASA (SEM 522 VAL
- Registered for EDU 530 PUR – Analysis of Teaching Behaviors Grades 4-6 and EDU 530 CON – Practicum Grades 4-6.
- A Letter of Employment (with start date) from the school principal or director of the school or other educational agency (on institution’s letterhead) in New York City indicating the upper level elementary (grades 4-6) teaching position if the NYS internship certification is obtained.
- Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) for school site supervision signed by the principal.
- If you meet all criteria, complete the
Internship Certificate Application